- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
Job Summary: Under the direction of the Administrative Manager, Lab Supervisors and Chief of Pathology, is responsible for maintaining a functional laboratory section (s) to meet the needs of patient care. Upholds the policies of the laboratory and ensures the quality of the work, while maintaining a pleasant and efficient work atmosphere.
* Embeds, cuts, and stains all specimens processed in the histology section of the lab daily.
* Assists the Pathologist with grossing of Anatomic Pathology Specimens daily
* Obtains, processes and prepares specimens for subsequent testing, as assigned.
* Performs quality control procedures and appropriate instrument checks, reviews and records these results daily.
* Performs scheduled equipment maintenance to assure proper operation; records the procedures performed as needed.
* Associate's degree required. Bachelor's degree preferred.
* Registration ASCP Registered preferred., and Certificate 2 Histotech Certification preferred.
* 0-1 years related work experience required.
* Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
* Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
* Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
* Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
* Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
* Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
* Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
* Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
* Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service and staff training to meet customer service standards and expectations for the assigned unit(s). Resolves service issues in the assigned unit(s) in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus
Associated topics: antibody, dietician, food, food scientist, health, histologist, histology, immunohematology, transfection, virus
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...